Tuesday, 1 December 2015


Tuesday 1st December:

Fog as we wake and edge our way into the tiny port at Luderitz, a contrast to our visit seven years ago when the skies were a cobalt blue. It's cool and believe it or not Lorna has only brought one cardigan and guess what, it's doesn't match everything, so she as to take our walking trip around the town in her usual sleeveless blouse, impervious to the temperature. I remember the layout, but the town looks a little more down at heel than I remember it. The beautiful coffee shop, Diaz Coffee, has shut down, and the building is empty and looks worse for wear.

To our delight we come across the new Diaz Coffee Shop off a back street and and get called to come in only to notice the look of abject terror on Sue's face. Ignoring the look of abject terror we march in and order coffee; Sue takes no risks and has a Coke Zero. We find the original owners have sold up and returned to Windhoek, but let the new owners keep the name, and they've only been open for a month or so. Our chief barrista, Ndemtila Tilla Antonious, is charming and we have a good laugh with her, and get all the ladies that run the shop outside for a farewell photograph. I promise to hook up with my new "friend" on Facebook, and post the photograph. We part with a series of "high-fives" and a new hashtag #womenempowerment, a fitting title for the photograph.


Dinner with Sue & Dennis, and fortunately we're too late for the show, but I'm too sleepy for Karaoke, and Sue & Dennis think I've gone off them, which of course I have not, there're good fun company. Sue & I continue to trade insults, so copping off at 10.30 will receive some opprobrium tomorrow. When we look at our email, we see one from Jeff Davies, who is asking us for permission to transfer all our details to a colleague accountant. Jeff has been diagnosed with a heart condition, and has obviously been told that he must throttle back and reduce his workload. I confirm that we are happy to proceed with his recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment